Hi all! I’m going to help get you started with your Silhouette Cameo 3 with 5 easy steps!
What You Need for this Tutorial:
- Silhouette CAMEO 3
- PC running Microsoft Windows
- Note: It runs on MAC too, but I don’t have one to demo with
1. Open the Box
2. Plug it in
You’ll need to get one cord plugged in for power and the other plugged in for data to the computer.
- Power cord – one end goes in the wall; the other goes in the Silhouette CAMEO 3
- USB cord – one end goes into your PC; the other goes into the Silhouette CAMEO 3
- The computer plug is a USB cable that can plug into any USB port on your computer.
- Find one that is convenient – any color should work!
Need extra wire length?
If you need to set up the machine further away from the computer, buy a USB extension cable. You can plug the extension cable into your computer, and then plug your Silhouette Cameo into the extension cable. Here is an example USB extension cable that should work:
3. Install Blade
4. Firmware Setup
- Go to: https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/firmware
- Download the file for “CAMEO 3” labeled “PC”
- Open the downloaded file (it is a “zip” file)
- Copy and paste all files to a temporary location
- Run the program named Silhouette_Firmware_Updatefrom the files that were just pasted
- Follow the instructions on screen
As of January 2018, the latest version of firmware is 1.40. You can view which version is running on your machine by using the touchscreen on the device to find the firmware screen.
5. Studio Setup
The final step is to install the Silhouette Studio software:
- Go to https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/software
- Download “Silhouette Studio”
- Make sure to choose the “Current Version” for “Windows”
- Install the software